July 30, 2009

What's Up This Weekend?

In addition to bringing you a list of what I think are the best live local music events, I report about me. But unlike a real journalist, I can't expose everything about my world. Some things just wouldn't be appropriate to bring to light here even though they might make interesting reading. I guess that is why people must write fiction, poetry and songs. And painters paint and superheroes must right wrongs.

I unburdened myself
Of all the things I wanted to say
With one bombastic swoop
Into the empty skyscraper of cards
That could not support
One more unfulfilled story

The view from precarious heights
Could no longer suffice
To satisfy my desire
To reach the Promised Land

Sometimes a free-fall to Earth
Is the only way
To find your way
Illuminated
By the sunshine of the night

Thursday, tonight, Ruby's hosts The Peloton Records showcase with Erika Carey & the Calamaties, Matt Hoover & the Super Saints and you will be able to see Wonder Twin Powers reprise their Comfest performance with the Superfriends Hip-Hop Orchestra. That was my favorite performance at Comfest '09. Hoodo Soul Band does the happy hour at Rumba followed by The Bygones and Wheels on Fire.

Friday, the Dublin Irish Festival is back all weekend with locals like The Drowsy Lads at 4:30. I've never been to one but I've always been curious to check it out. The Slide Machine and Deerhead are at Carabar. Fox & Hounds does the happy hour at Rumba followed by Joey Hebdo's CD release party with Jesse Henry & the Royal Tycoons and Acoustic Floorwalkers. The Lindsay is at The Summit and The Receiver is at Victorian's. The Pit Bulls have an EP release at Ravari. If it is a nice night, you might want to consider an outdoor screening of Raising Arizona (Nick Cage and Holly Hunter) in Goodale Park at 9 PM.

Saturday, Bryan Olsheski teams up with Bobby Floyd. Jim Rupp and Derek DiCenzo at Dick's. The New Bomb Turks rise again at Ravari. Old Worlds has a 4 song demo release at Ruby's with Teeth on Teeth and This Is My Suitcase. Two Cow Garage is at Rumba. Can't help but note that Candye Kane is at The Thirsty Ear.

Sunday, Jim Maneri is joined by Randy Mather, Roger Hines and Joe Ong at noon at the Gazebo in Goodale Park..

And Tuesday, for all us Randy-philes, they will be performing on the lawn of the Grandview Library, Tuesday at 7:30 PM.

In the sunshine of your love. mark

No comments:

Post a Comment