July 2, 2009

What's Up This Weekend?

Comfest is always a mixed bag for me. This year, some very high highs and some very low lows. Musically, Hayseed and Wonder Twin Powers were the spine-tinglers. Dancing as hard as I possibly could with Jodi K. on the side stage while Happy Chichester performed with his group of fabulous musicians was memorable. Every year, the thing that I do to remind myself about what makes all the hard work worthwhile is just walking through the park and seeing people having such a good time sitting in the shade of a tree with their friends. Comfest is my religion and my mission is to do my part to make it possible for the people of my community to come together and celebrate our humanity. Now my staycation begins.

Throughout this weekend, Christian Howes' annual Creative Strings Festival (CSF) continues at numerous locations. Go to http://christianhowes.com/workshoplive.htm for a complete schedule. I will mention just a few of them.

Thursday, tonight, CFS presents Jeremy Killel and Marcello Viera at Dick's. The Spikedrivers are right back at it for the happy hour at Rumba followed by Friday night Comfest Jazz Stage headliner, Liquid Crystal Project. I'm going to check out The Boki Quartet at Giorgio's to see if they are the right group for my street party later this Fall.

Friday, CFS is at Rumba with Chris H. & Friends including this incredible teenage violinist Alex Hargeaves from Texas that I saw last night. CFS is also at Dick's with Daniel Kelly and Billy Contreras.

Saturday, is the Doodah Parade and I invite any of you who wish to join the Doodah Marching Band to meet at the carriage house behind 1036 Highland St. (Maison Maneri) between 11:45 AM and 12:45 PM. No experience necessary. Wear something provocative. Bring something to make noise, uh, I mean music with. Be prepared to party early. I purchased a lovely patriotic frock for the occasion and I've been promised a trombone. Later, Dr. Kenny Delicious is at Ruby's and Daycreeper is one of three at Rumba. Huh? CSF has Chris and The Bobby Floyd Trio at The Lobby (6-9 PM, Free), Daniel Kelly at Gallery Hop and then Chris & his Friends move down to Dick's for the evening.

The Camptown ladies sing this song,
Doo-da, Doo-da
The Camptown racetrack's five miles long
Oh, de doo-da day, mark

1 comment:

  1. dr. kenny is NOT playing rubys, im pretty sure he had to cancel due to his drummer having another commitment...dont quote me but double check that gig!

    ReplyDelete