March 6, 2009

I suffer through a lot of television commercials and I often fight back at the ones that irritate me the most. I might quickly change the channel or add my own dialogue to vent my sarcasm. There is one for a cut-rate funeral home where the head undertaker sits there railing about the $700 billion dollar bank bailout as a prelude to his pitch to stimulate the economy by sending off your loved one at his place. "And we're shovel-ready!" I chimed in.

Thursday, tonight, The Surly Girl Saloon will be a nice venue to see Couch Forts. Ghost Shirt and Paper Airplane are at The Treehouse.

Friday, Paul Goll's new band, Deerhead and a band with buzz, Mt. Carmel, are at Carabar. Couch Forts move just down the street to Circus with Alwood Sisters and Darynyck. Its usually worth taking the chance to check out Hugs and Kisses with a bunch of bands at The Summit. I will be enjoying Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit at Rumba along with Deer Tick. His first CD was a masterpiece and there is new one out.

Saturday, one of my favorite alt-rock bands, The Lindsay, come out of the woodwork for a show at Carabar with Church of the Red Museum. Soul Satyr is at Dick's. Happy Chichester is at Rumba with The Dig from N.Y. I believe. The Treehouse has the annual Townes Van Zandt Tribute with perennial hosts, Eric Nassau and Casey Velker and many others including Paul Goll, Matt Monta & Bree and Miss Molly. mark

You load sixteen tons, what do you get
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store

Lyrics by Tennessee Ernie Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment