November 5, 2009

What's Up This Weekend?

Work days that I'm not in court, I like to dress casually. Usually my black jeans and a long sleeve shirt. I picked out a really comfortable soft cotton black shirt that I never seem to wear and then I noticed the reason why. The second button down from the collar was gone. Sartorial impropriety was not enough to deter me once I had the vision of wearing that shirt in my mind. I sacrificed a little comfort by buttoning the top button and hoped the missing one would escape attention as if consumed by a black hole.Then I went to vote. After voting against all the issues that would eventually pass, I came out and received my "I Voted Today" round sticker. I began to stick it on my jacket when it occurred to me, "What are the chances that the one day I would be intentionally reckless enough to wear a shirt with a missing button that a plausible covering would come into my possession?" I don't know which way looked worse but I preferred to appear weirdly civic-minded rather than to have been clothed at the homeless shelter.

Thursday, tonight,The BOKI Quartet is at Dick's, Justin Townes Earle is at the dreaded Newport, Vegas 66 is at Ravari and Miss Molly and Wonder Power Twins are at Victorian's.

Friday, for an unbeatable happy hour at Rumba, Peloton Records presents Erika Carey & the Calamities beginning around 6 PM followed by Wonder Power Twins, Heidi Howes, Matthew Hoover, The Bygones and Todd May. After the showcase, there is The Black Swans and Bird & Flower. Skully's has, among others, Liquid Crystal Project with headliner Talib Kweli. The Treehouse will start softly with Time & Temperature and then it goes Guantanamo on you with Mt. Carmel and Brainbow.

Saturday, if you haven't caught him yet, no cover at Carabar to see Nick Tolford & Co. He's worth paying to see. Ravari has the Spielman benefit with Bush League All-Stars, Old Worlds and OPM. Rumba has transplanted Athenian, Joey Hebdo with Frontier Ruckus and Joe Pug. The Treehouse has Matt Monta and the Hot Coal Band and Trains Across the Sea.

Tuesday, a show worth venturing out for on a work night at the Treehouse, Lydia Loveless and Old Hundred. mark

Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,
Why you never see bright colors on my back,
And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.
Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.

Lyrics by Johnny Cash

No comments:

Post a Comment