November 12, 2009

What's Up This Weekend?

Except for performing Script Ohio with my lawn mower on a colorful field of leaves during half-time, I didn't get outside much Saturday. So Sunday, I was determined to enjoy the freakishly warm and beautiful November weather even if it had to be by myself. I headed for Highbanks Park where I had often hiked with The Girlfriend. I was always just a follower and didn't even consider that there might be some importance to exactly where we had embarked upon the trails. I saw an empty parking space and headed for the nearest path. Before long, I realized I was exploring new territory but I pressed on figuring it had to get familiar somewhere along the line. When I saw the jarring blue and yellow tile covering the Skyline Chili restaurant through the trees, I started losing my concentration on Nature and got concerned about where the hell I was. I retraced my steps and took a different direction only to circle back to a view of Skyline Chili from another angle. I double-backed again and heard a little kid say as I walked past, "Daddy, isn't that the man we saw walking in front of us?" I eventually found one of the many "You are here" maps and felt relieved as I headed down a new path until I ended up back at the same map. The trails were like freeways at rush hour, full of people who knew where they were going and here I was, adrift in a maze. I figured out how I had gone wrong from the map and got on a different trail but when I approached a lodge I had passed an hour ago, I got a little panicky. I found a Ranger directing traffic, who knew me from the courthouse and commented on the directional deficiencies of attorneys. He gave me a map and told me how to get back to where I had started. Before I got there, I saw my car off the path and crashed through a field of tall grass and weeds like an escaped prisoner to get there. On my way out, I waived my thanks to the Ranger and headed home. Even though I finally knew where I was going, I realized that I was still lost.

Thursday, tonight, Jim Maneri is at Dick's. There is another Peloton Records showcase at Ruby's. The acts are nameless in the paper but considering all talent in their stable of artists, it's got to be good. Maybe they will be selling more vintage clothing like the fab stuff they had at Rumba last weekend. I wore my snap-on tie to court today. Treehouse has The Kyle Sowashes and Moviola and Victorian's has Will Scott with Donna Mogavero.

Friday, Old Worlds and Moon High are at Ruby's and Victorian's has a rare appearance by one of my faves, Heartbreak Orchestra along with Whoa Nellie and Erika Carey and the Calamaties.

Saturday, I can't vouch for anything but Evangelicals at Bourbon Street and Surfer Blood at The Summit sound interesting. Anna and the Annadroids perform their latest, Anthro(pop)ology Fri.- Sun. at Columbus Dance Theatre on Main St. near I-71 I believe.

Wednesday, some of my favorite ladies, Lydia Loveless and the Ooh La Las are at Circus.

Sunny day, Sweepin' the clouds away, On my way to where the air is sweet. Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street? mark

No comments:

Post a Comment