August 13, 2009

What's Up This Weekend?

On the 40th anniversary of Woodstock (at age 16, I had a chance to go and and didn't) I wake up to find in a CNN interview that Arlo Guthrie is a Republican. Come on, Arlo. I know that many Democrats are just as much in the pocket of corporations as the Republicans but Dems aren't the ones spreading lies to scare people so the health insurance companies can keep bleeding all of us. In the last election, it was a simple matter of electing somebody with some intelligence. Now, we have this incredibly complex issue and we are at the mercy of politicians who don't have a history of looking for answers beyond their lists of campaign contributors. I'm convinced Obama has the right idea. It's only the Democrats that can make it happen. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat, crossing my fingers and looking for my religion.

Thursday, tonight, there's lots to choose from. Lydia Loveless shares the stage at Bernie's, Joey Hebdo is at Victorian's, Old World's is at Oldfield's, Brasiliera is at Dick's and Lollipop Factory and Ghost Shirt are at Rumba. Wait, there's more! Maia Sharp isn't local but I highly recommend her. She's an extraordinary singer-songwriter from LA and she's performing at The Thirsty Ear.

Friday, Yummy! is an art show put on by the Couchfire Collective and a fundraiser for the Mid-Ohio Foodbank (great organization!) at the Junctionview Studios in Grandview 6 PM- 9 PM. Just bring a non-perishable food item or make a donation. The Twang Alliance has the happy hour at Rumba with among others, the wonderful Heartbreak Orchestra. Later Super Desserts are on the menu. The Lost Weekend Records Summer Show comes to Ruby's with The Kyle Sowashes at 9, Mt. Carmel at 10 and Family Night, Marcy Mays' heavy-metal project, at 12. But my pick of the weekend is the Elvis Tribute at The Thirsty Ear which begins with The Randys at 8 and continues with The Sons of Gladys.

Saturday, Festival Latino is back to being free and now it is at Genoa Park which if you haven't been there is a pretty nice venue. Starts at noon and ends at 8. The Spanish Harlem Orchestra headlines at 6:30 but the music looks interesting all day and I do love eating there. The Lost Weekend show continues at Ruby's with Day Creeper at 10, Moviola at 11 and Times New Viking at 12. If a certain someone hasn't shown up yet, I might celebrate my birthday eve by heading down to Athens where there is lots of good stuff going on including a Stella reunion and The Lennon Orchestra.

Sunday, Festival Latino continues and it's my Heinz 57 birthday and the day Elvis died. I'm hoping I get that gift that Santa never delivered.

Happy birthday to me. mark

No comments:

Post a Comment