March 25, 2010

What's Up This Weekend?


Did you notice that Health Care Reform was passed by Congress on the first day of Spring? I partied pretty hard that night while watching it happen. And when Obama signed it, I went out and modified the sign that had been standing in my yard since last summer and through the long snowy winter. See attachment. It's a new season for America and, at the same time, it is a new season for Mark. I retired from Comfest. There were some "reasons" like the fact Comfest decided to close down the festivities early each day, even closing some stages earlier than others. But there also seemed to be some "signs" that this was the time for me to go. I lost my notebook where I made my notes for my band reviews, I got involved in a new music festival project and Comfest even demanded that I give up my license plates. There has been a lot of seismic activity around the world recently and I'm just feeling like the ground beneath my feet is quaking too, changing the world around me. I believe with the coming of Spring that the pendulum is swinging back in the right direction for our country and I'm hopping aboard for the ride.

One of the downsides to leaving Comfest is that I will no longer be seeing all the new bands that apply to play. As a result, I'm not sure I will remain qualified to offer up my suggestions for weekend music listening. Not sure what I'm going to do about that. For now I will just have to go back to keeping my ear to the ground. So if you have any tips or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thursday, tonight, at The Gateway Film Center, the Dan Dougan Listening Hour features Jim Maneri & friends, Wonder Twin Powers is at Circus, Dick's has Magically Delicious and The Spikedrivers do the happy hour at Rumba.

Friday, Ghost Shirt shares the stage with The Phantods and The Lost Revival.

Saturday, Megan Palmer & the Hopefuls and Joey Hebdo are at Rumba and Skully's has quite a collection with Two Cow Garage, Mt. Carmel, The Compressions, DJ Detox and the Christian Howes Trio.

Don't let the past remind us of what we are not now. mark

No comments:

Post a Comment