June 23, 2009

What's Up This Weekend?

I went on the road with the Cowboy Hillbilly Hippie Folk to the Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania (Rolling Rock, anyone?) where you find the oddly-familiar-sounding Ohiopyle State Park and the touristy little rafting/biking destination of Falls City on the seemingly-impossible-to-pronounce Youghioheny River which a local assured me is pronounced "yockaganey". I discovered that even if I ride a bike on an absolutely level ex-train track by a beautiful river for 18 miles, I will still feel like I'm going to die. The only thing that kept me going was the desire not to be passed by the lovely young bass player who hadn't ridden a bike for many years. At the gig, the band let me sit in so I sat on a picnic bench just outside the open air stage and picked up a large accordion, an instrument that I really don't play but that I knew enough to play along with songs that consisted of about 3 chords which most of theirs did. I did so with some difficulty, getting an inordinate amount of aerobic exercise squeezing the bellows and awkwardly using my left hand to make the chords. It occurred to me the next day that I had been playing it upside down. Wish I could blame it on the Yuenglings.

Friends of Mark, don't forget to volunteer at comfest.com. We need people to work Safety (fka Security) Friday 4-8, 8-12 and anytime Sunday. We need people to work Clean Up & Recycling Friday night and Saturday morning. It's your festival. Do your part.

This following is an all-Comfest performers list.

Thursday, today, I'm headed for my first visit to the new Huntington ballpark to see the Clippers (who are not playing at Comfest) or just to drink some beer depending on the weather. Tonight, Vegas 66 is at Circus and Couch Forts is at Treehouse.

Friday, The Receiver and Ghost Shirt are at Ravari, Megan Palmer & the Hopefuls do the happy hour at Rumba followed by Two Cow Garage. Josh Fitzwater & the Shambles and Lost Revival are at Treehouse.

Saturday, The Spikedrivers are at Dick's, The Lost Revival and Old Worlds are joined by controversially-missing-from-Comfest Big Back 40 at Rumba in what should be steel guitarist Barry Hensley's last Columbus performance before moving to the Left Coast. Bookmobile, You're So Bossy and Derek DiCenzo are at Treehouse.

Tuesday, see Comfest's lone import this year, David Ornette Cherry at Dick's Den. Couch Forts and last minute-Comfest-addition, Matt Monta are at the Treehouse.

Roll out the barrel. We'll have a barrel of fun. mark

No comments:

Post a Comment